I came to Songaia knowing nothing about gardening except that the stuff that comes out of gardens tastes pretty good. Now I know almost nothing about gardening, which is a step up. :) My background is filled with books, problem sets, and white offices—pretty different from the semi-chaotic, sun-dappled garden at Songaia. It’s a welcome change.
Some things I’ve learned, in no particular order:
- Grass is the most annoying weed.
- Composting. In more detail than I probably wanted to. :P
- The word hugelkultur sounds like a German pastry, but is actually a method of creating a nutrient-rich bed you can plant things in.
- I love food, which is why I’m here. Grazing on the garden’s various fruits is one of my new favorite pastimes. A couple of years ago, I volunteered at a restaurant kitchen for fun (just chopping up vegetables for broth and watching them during dinner service).
- Hobbies include games, mostly of the card and video variety, and reading. My favorite book is Patrick Rothfuss’ The Name of the Wind.
- Buzzfeed tells me I’m pretty evenly right- and left-brained. Buzzfeed is a pretty trustworthy source, so I guess it must be true. :)